Highmark Caring Place Joint Provider: Building a Loss Community. Navigating Pregnancy and Infant Loss Enduring Material
Symposium for professionals in the community who encounter families that have experienced pregnancy and infant loss. The goal is to increase awareness and develop a referral system of professionals in the community to support these families during and after their time in crisis.
Clergy, Nursing, Physicians, Social Work, Funeral Directors, Clergy Support Staff, Nursing and Medical Students. Nursing and medical education faculty
1. Identify empathetic forms of communication to discuss the diagnosis of fetal/neonatal loss with clients.
2. Describe compassionate processes that occur in-patient during labor and birth that are supportive to families who are
3. Mobilize community support systems for families who experience fetal/neonatal loss.
4. Facilitate interventions for the family giving birth to a rainbow baby.
5. Describe the stigma and complicated nature of infant and pregnancy loss and how it differs from other types of grief.
6. Identify and discuss tools to model healthy coping skills for parents who experience pregnancy and infant loss.
7. Create awareness around how grief impacts parents differently based on relevant life experiences.
8. Compile a working resource list of community support dedicated to wrapping around families experiencing pregnancy and infant loss.
AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the essential areas and policies of the
Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through joint providership of Allegheny General
Hospital and Highmark Caring Place. Allegheny General Hospital is accredited by ACCME to provide continuing
medical education for physicians. Allegheny General Hospital designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.5 AMA
PRA Category CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation
in the activity.
CE for Psychologists
Allegheny Health Network is approved by the American Psychological Association to offer continuing education for
psychologists. Allegheny Health Network maintains responsibility for the program and its content. This course is
approved for 1.5 APA Credits.
CE for Social Workers
Social Workers may claim credits for attending educational courses and programs delivered by pre-approved
providers, such as the American Psychological Association (refer to CE for Psychologists above). For verification, please
refer to Continuing Education Regulations §47.36(6)(ix) found at www.dos.state.pa.us/social. Certificates of attendance
will be awarded following the conference provided a completed evaluation form is submitted.
- 5.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 5.75 APA
- 5.75 Attendance