Cancelled- Highmark Caring Place: Supporting students, staff, and ourselves in the aftermath of crisis and loss
This session will outline some of the common adjustment reactions among children in the aftermath of crisis and loss and practical suggestions that educators can use to support students to help promote their adjustment and describe the importance of and basic principles of psychological first aid. The distinction between trauma and grief will be highlighted and practical advice provided on how to support grieving students. Free resources for addressing these issues from the Coalition to Support Grieving Students will be shared. Adults are generally impacted by school and community crisis events at least as much as the students; this session will underscore the importance of professional self-care and introduce some related considerations. Time will be devoted to questions and discussion.
- Initiate conversations with students in the aftermath of a crisis or after the death of a family member or friend
- Understand the importance of psychological first aid and basic supportive services to promoting adjustment after a crisis
- Outline the common symptoms of adjustment reactions in children and adolescents that may occur in response to a crisis
- Consider issues of professional self-care when supporting children and staff who are grieving or adjusting to a crisis event
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the essential areas and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through joint providership of Allegheny General Hospital and Highmark Caring Place. Allegheny General Hospital is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Allegheny General Hospital designates this live activity for a maximum of 2.0. AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 2.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 2.00 APA
- 2.00 Attendance